August – September 2009
The theme this month is Revenge.
Obviously there are many works to choose from with this theme, but I think we’ve come up with an interesting list. There’s quite a breadth of material here too, stretching from Elizabethan to contemporary works. As always, I’m looking forward to the forthcoming discussions.
- The White Devil – John Webster (play)
- The Duchess of Malfi – John Webster (play)
- Of Revenge – Francis Bacon (essay)
- Suite from Abdelazar, The Moor’s Revenge – Henry Purcell (music)
- The Crying of Lot 49 – Thomas Pynchon (fiction)
- Chronicle of a Death Foretold – Gabriel García Márquez (fiction)
- Blasted – Sarah Kane (play)
- Phaedra’s Love – Sarah Kane (play)
- Oldboy – Directed by Park Chan-wook (movie)